Read of the Day: “This Terrifying Bride Is Only Joking Except When She’s Not”
5:30 pm, September 19th | by Colette McIntyre
In today’s Read of the Day, Gawker’s Caity Weaver shares the most
passive aggressive, whackadoo, TrimSpa-fueled bridal communiqués that we have ever laid eyes on. To anyone who was in this woman’s bridal party: you are an American hero.
The following emails were forwarded to us by a bridesmaid still dazed from her six-month tour in the war zone of her gal pal’s elegant destination wedding. They are a master class in the joking-but-not-joking-seriously-DON’T-cut-your-hair-without-my-permission style of friend management, where every “jest” (no bridesmaids were actually force-fed protein shakes to gain weight) is counteracted by a very real “offense” (one bridesmaid was asked to take diet pills).
All identifying information has been changed; emphasized words and phrases appear as they did in the correspondence (though we have swapped the fluorescent pink of the original text for a more subdued black). So sit back, pop a diet pill because you’re fat, and then pop a chill pill because can’t you take a joke, fattie? Jeez.
“Welcome to my bridal party. I thought today would be a great day to start this chain, as it is officially six months until my wedding day.
I just wanted to go over some ground rules.
1. Weigh-ins will begin in 3 weeks. I for one would really like some time after Thanksgiving to make my body forget about what it consumed, so I thought I would give you guys some cushion room
2. No-one can be skinner than the bride. That means Kelly and Lizzie will be on a protein weight gainer diet exclusively until May. I will have the nutritionist call you to discuss diet plans.
3. Bed times leading up to the wedding will be strictly enforced. I absolutely cannot have you all have saggy, baggy eyes. I am sure you all understand.
4. Swimwear attire: I would like everyone to wear matching bikinis that have rhinestones on the tushie spelling out “maids,” which brings me to my next point.
5. All bikinis leading up to the wedding must be strapless bandeaus. I cannot have terrible tan lines in strapless dresses.
6. Sunscreen: We need to make sure you ladies look lovely and radiant and not red and reptile like. Pack accordingly.
7. Speeches: We all know what happened at Taylor’s wedding. So if you plan to make a toast, please submit it for approval and revision, no later than 4 weeks prior to the wedding.
8. Hair cuts: If you plan on chopping off your locks, please submit your proposed new look prior to any actions (this applies to coloring as well).
9. Attendance: is strongly requested at all events but I will make some exceptions on a case by case basis.
10. Ink: Consider this a moratorium on future tattoos until June 5th. Those of you with visible artwork will be privately contacted with (temporary) removal instructions.
Thank you for your time and consideration. Should everyone abide by these minor requests, I am sure we will all have a memorable weekend.
Just kidding bitches, well, sorta. love you all,
To read more of this craziness, click here.