‘It Smells Like Middle School’: What Men Really Think Of Yankee’s ‘Man Candle’
1:35 pm, June 29th | by Amy Tennery
When Yankee Candle announced its new line of “Man Candles” recently, we were utterly perplexed. I mean, really — why do guys need candles specifically designed for them?
Then we saw what the candles were named:
“2×4,” “Riding Mower” and “First Down?” Yep, still confused.
And while we ladies can share our feelings on Man Candles all we want (we’re really good at talking about feelings), this product was clearly designed for a man. It’s a Man Candle. We can’t dissect it.
But The Jane Dough is all about examining the intersection of gender and business. We wanted answers. So when the Man Candles hit shelves, we did the natural thing: Bought a Man Candle and polled the many men at our disposal — our coworkers.
Without further ado, in a segment inspired by our friends at Styleite, we present a series of true male reflections on Man Candles.
– “It smells like my grandpa. I don’t know how to describe it other than that. It smells like a cologne that an old man would wear.”
– “It smells like middle school.”
– “It smells exactly like Tag.”
– “Because the idea is kind of ridiculous — and calling it ‘First Down’ is even more so — I almost wish it [smelled] more ridiculous. If you’re going to go for it, go all the way.”
– “It smells good. I don’t know what a first down smells like.”
– “It smells masculine. It smells like Axe body spray.”
– “I don’t think it smells bad. I trust doesn’t smell like football.”
– “It’s weird. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be. I don’t see the connection. It’s not bad.”
Everyone (for the most part) agreed that Yankee Candle’s “First Down” smelled inoffensively pleasant. But not one could agree on what a first down or football is supposed to smell like, anyway. Personally, I imagined something that smelled more like grass or maybe leather. Our token female tester (not me, but another coworker whose identity I will protect) said, “It smells like dating the wrong man.”
There you have it.